cjhallwriter

Courtney J. Hall

I may be a historical fiction writer, but I'm a reader of just about anything you'll put in front of me.
The Lucky Ones: A Bright Young Things Novel - Anna Godbersen A fitting end to an enjoyable trilogy. I don't want to give spoilers, but readers of the first two books will, I think, be satisfied with the endings given to the main characters. In the first book the omniscient narrator (whose identity is revealed, and confirms my initial suspicions about the character) states that by the end of the summer one of the girls will be married, one will be famous, and one will be dead. This is true, but I was really surprised when I found out which girl achieved which fate.

Astrid remained my favorite character of the three girls. She did a lot of growing up in this story and I found myself alternating between panic for her and the fond irritation one might feel for a beloved friend who does everything with passion but not necessarily any foresight. Cordelia, however, stayed a bit more stagnant while at the same time rushing headfirst into situations. I realize this doesn't make much sense. But as an example, I had a hard time believing the truth of her love for Max when only weeks before she'd been in love with Thom Hale. She was supposed to be the sensible one, and while her motivations were clear, her feelings and her reactions to them made Cordelia the girl I found most difficult to believe. Letty stayed in character and was both too stupid and too annoying for words. Again, no spoilers, but if you're anything like me you'll want to throw the book against the wall when her big climax comes. (And that's not a slam against the book, by any means - you just won't be able to believe how incredibly naive she was. I saw it coming from a mile away.)

The 1920s is my favorite era in American history (actually, it's the only era of American history I enjoy - the rest bores me to tears) and so few writers use it, so I was ecstatic to come across this trilogy. I'm sad to see it end.